Lip augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures, and it’s easy to see why. This non-surgical cosmetic procedure can add an instant volume boost to your lips, and even change the contours of your lips for a more youthful and desirable smile.
Also known as lip injections, lip augmentation can provide a variety of solutions for people of all ages. Not only can the procedure make your lips look naturally fuller, but it can also help to create more definition and structure and alleviate fine lines around the mouth.
If you’re considering lip augmentation, these are some things you should know about how to prepare for the procedure and what to do and not to do after you get lip injections.
Is Lip Augmentation Right for Me?
Most people opt for lip augmentation to help restore or add volume to the lips, minimize wrinkles around the mouth, and create more facial symmetry. The best candidates for lip augmentation are those who are in good physical health and have realistic expectations about the procedure.
It helps to do some research beforehand to understand what your options are and what the best lip injection clinic near you is. Look at testimonials, photos of the clinic’s past work, and what products and services they offer. Things to look for include experienced doctors and medical professionals, state-of-the-art facilities, and great reviews.
It’s also important to keep in mind that everyone has different facial symmetry, so you may not be able to achieve the exact same look as say Angelina Jolie or Kim Kardashian. A reputable lip augmentation specialist will look at the proportions of your face and add fillers that complement and enhance your specific face shape.
A qualified aesthetic center like Mirror Mirror Beauty Boutique can help you determine exactly how much filler to use and where to use it on your lips. They can advise you on how to get the most natural look or a particular definition such as the Russian lip technique, which highlights the cupid’s bow area of your lips.
You should not get lip injections if you have active infections around the mouth including cold sores and canker sores. Pregnant and nursing women should also hold off on getting lip augmentation. In addition, medical conditions such as diabetes or lupus can cause complications. Be sure to speak to a professional before undertaking any cosmetic procedure.
How Can I Prepare for Lip Injections?
One of the great things about lip injections is that you don’t have to do anything too out of the ordinary to prepare for the procedure. Because it is non-invasive and does not require general anesthesia that puts you to sleep, you can simply show up for your appointment and be out in 30 to 90 minutes. However, there are a few small steps you can take to ensure you get the most out of the procedure.
- Stop taking blood thinners one week before the procedure. Blood-thinning medications like ibuprofen, Motrin, or aspirin can cause unnecessary bleeding during and after the procedure. Try to avoid these types of medications for at least a week prior to your appointment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours before the procedure. Alcohol is a vasodilator, meaning it causes your blood vessels to expand. If the blood vessels in your lips are taking up more surface area, there is a higher risk of bruising.
- Ensure your lips are free of lip products. Your lips should be free of any makeup so that there is no interference with the needles. Most clinics will ensure that your lips are thoroughly cleaned before providing the injections, but you can help them along by not using products beforehand.
How Should I Care for My Lips After a Lip Augmentation Procedure?
One of the benefits of lip injections is that there is little to no downtime after the procedure. Unlike complicated surgical procedures, you don’t have to spend days recovering in a hospital room. You can simply leave the office and get back to life mostly as usual. However, there are some things you should do to ensure you get the best possible outcome.
What to Do After Getting Lip Injections
As with any cosmetic procedure, there are some steps you can take in the aftercare process to help with a quick recovery and to ensure you see the best results.
- Use an icepack. You may find that your lips are slightly swollen after getting lip injections. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about. An ice pack can help reduce the swelling and provide a comfortable, cooling sensation. Wrap the ice pack in a thin cloth to avoid the ice from sticking to your lips.
- Drink water. It’s always a good idea to stay hydrated, particularly when your body is in the healing process. Drink from a vessel with a wide opening so you don’t have to purse your lips or apply too much pressure when you drink.
- Apply arnica for bruising. Some people experience slight bruising after lip augmentation. Arnica cream can help reduce any discoloration. This natural herb is also known to help with swelling and tenderness.
- Choose foods that are easy to eat. For the first day or two after your procedure, try to stick to foods that won’t put strain on your lips or irritate the skin. Try to eat foods that can be cut into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Be gentle when washing your face. When going through your normal skin care routine, take care not to rub your lips too harshly. Use warm water and a soft face cloth to wash the area around your mouth.
- Stay upright for a few hours after the treatment. After getting lip injections, the filler needs time to settle properly, so it’s best to stay upright for the first few hours. The first evening you should sleep on your back with your head slightly elevated. Try to avoid sleeping face down.
What Not to Do After Getting Lip Injections
You don’t have to alter your life drastically after getting lip augmentation, but there are a few things you should avoid immediately after getting lip injections and up to a few days afterwards.
- Don’t exercise for at least 24 hours. Strenuous exercise gets your blood pumping and your heart rate going. This can make any swelling and bruising that you may have from your procedure worse. Light walking is ok, but anything that makes you sweat should be avoided.
- Don’t drink through a straw. The last thing you want to do right after your lip augmentation procedure is pucker your lips, put strain on them, or accidentally jab them with a sharp object like a straw. As mentioned above, it’s best to drink from a vessel with a wide mouth.
- Don’t kiss. Kissing is also out because it can put strain on your lips and cause unnecessary bruising, tenderness, or swelling. Wait a few days for your lips to heal fully before puckering up.
- Don’t drink hot liquids. Your lips will probably be slightly sensitive for a few days after getting your fillers, so you want to avoid anything that can irritate your lips. Hot liquids may feel hotter than usual and create an uncomfortable burning sensation.
- Avoid overly salty or spicy foods. Foods that are too salty or spicy can irritate your freshly plumped lips and urge you to rub or wipe your lips. Plus, overly salty foods can increase swelling.
- Don’t take NSAID painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen are designed to reduce pain, inflammation, and blood clots. However, they act as a blood thinner, which can negatively affect the lip augmentation healing process. If you feel the need to take a painkiller, stick to Tylenol.
How Long Should Lip Injection Aftercare Last?
Most people who get lip injections find that the soreness and sensitivity goes away after a few days. For some people, it takes as little as one or two days. Everybody is different, so the best thing you can do is pay attention to your body. If your lips feel tender, treat them gently and avoid anything that may cause irritation. If you feel fine, you can get back to life as usual. If in doubt, give your lips a little self-care for up to a week.
How Long Does Lip Augmentation Last?
You can expect to see results from your lip augmentation immediately after the procedure, and those results should last for at least nine months and even up to 18 months. It really depends on your metabolism. When the results start to fade, you can consult with the experts at Mirror Mirror Beauty Boutique to schedule a follow-up treatment.
Are you interested in learning more about lip injections in Houston, TX? If so, Mirror Mirror Beauty Boutique can help. Our experienced aesthetic experts can provide you with details about the best products and procedures and arrange a consultation so you can ask any questions you may have and get expert advice about the best options for you. Contact us online or call 281-810-9083 to speak to one of our aesthetic professionals today!